Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Books for fun

Well, it's officially summer for most of us student-types, so that means it's reading-things-other-than-textbooks season. Blackstone has sent me what looks like a fantastic set of additions to my library, there are some other new books on my shelves waiting to be explored, and of course there are some old friends there who need to be revisited. Books in the first category:
  • Confessions, by A. Augustine
  • Always Ready, by Greg L. Bahnsen
  • Coercing Virtue, by Robert Bork
  • Natural Law for Lawyers, by J. Budziszewski
  • Orthodoxy, by G.K. Chesterton
  • America's Christian History, by Gary DeMar
  • Architects of the Culture of Death, by Donald DeMarco & Benjamin Wiker
  • The Cruelty of Heresy, by C. Fitzsimons Allison
  • No Other God, by John Frame
  • The Abolition of Man, by C.S. Lewis
  • Humility: True Greatness, by C.J. Mahaney
  • The Heritage Guide to the Constitution, by Edwin Meese III
  • Christ and Culture, by H. Richard Neibuhr
  • When I Don't Desire God, by John Piper
  • The Peacemaker, by Ken Sande
  • Idols for Destruction, by Herbert Scholssberg,
  • The Homosexual Agenda, by Alan Sears and Craig Osten
  • ACLU vs. America, by Alan Sears and Craig Osten
  • Sir William Blackstone & the Common Law, by Robert Stacey
  • The Cube and the Cathedral, by George Weigel
  • Vindicating the Founders, by Tom West

Books in the second category:

  • One Hundred Years of Solitude (which my roommate just gave me--can't wait!)
  • Huckleberry Finn (which I am ashamed to say I have never read)
  • Understanding the Times

A FEW books in the third category:

  • To Kill a Mockingbird (just saw the movie at DPAC and really need to reread it)
  • Wuthering Heights (it's just been a while)
  • The Grapes of Wrath
  • Cry, the Beloved Country
  • something by Jane Austin

So what are you guys reading?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy reading! :-)

I'm ashamed to say I haven't read any of the books in the first category. Man, I feel ignorant. Ha ha.

But I have read 2/3 of those in the second and all (well, if you count any as "something" from the Austen collection) of those in the third.

Enjoy the reading. Have fun in the Bend. [You're there, right?]

Oh, and here's another you make like: On Beauty by Zadie Smith

Anonymous said...

Other than the writing competition materials (booooo), I'm reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, which is the third book in her Outlander series. It is excellent. I'm hoping to read a trashy romance novel for fun before I head off to summer school. ;)

mel said...

I've never read Huck Finn, either. Maybe someday I'll work up the discipline to read it, but I've always had a hard time getting into Mark Twain stuff.

As for what I'm reading, it's on my blog. :)

Monica said...

Currently ripping through The Three Musketeers. It just doesn't get much better than Dumas. :-)