Monday, December 04, 2006

Maybe not the best day for a global warming rally...

This morning all the cars in the first four rows of student parking lot C1 were “ticketed” with yellow slips almost identical to the ones campus security use with the car description filled in and the message: “YOU ARE GUILTY of contributing to the emission of CO2 gas into the atmosphere and causing global warming.” On the back of the slip was the message: “Carpool with at least one other person tomorrow, december [sic] 5, and gain access to the first four rows of the C1 parking lot.”

I just feel sorry for the poor person who had to stand out there and write in all the car description info in the freezing cold. The high today was 24 degrees Fahrenheit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little bitter that the school is supporting this global warming crap. I'm very happy that it was about 17º when they were out there.

Anonymous said...

Supporting this global warming crap? Do you deny that global warming is real?

The Bard said...

Whether global warming is real, whether it is substantially caused by humans, and whether the relevant humans are only those in America are three different questions. In the 1970s and 1980s, the line was that humans were causing global cooling and that was going to be the end of the world.

You could say those people were just out to save us gas on carpooling; we need everything we can get with what ND charges for tuition.

But I have a better story. I know someone who turned in a paper on global warming that same day. :-)

Anonymous said...

I will admit that I think saying this is specifically because of "global warming" is silly when it would be a lot easier to say that we need to cut down on pollution and the use of fossil fuels. I'm guessing Carissa and The Bard couldn't argue with that.

However, my bigger problem with this "carpool" lot is this: the parking passes are not transferrable to another car. Suppose my roommate and I decide to carpool, but we alternate whose car to take for any number of reasons. We still have to buy TWO parking passes, even though we're doing the "responsible" thing and only ever having ONE car on campus. The solution is obvious: a hang-tag like the faculty have that students can share among their cars.

Becca said...

Good idea, anonymous. I also get irritated that I can't remove the old stickers from my car. That baby is on there for good, and how classy is it to have three ND parking stickers lined up on your windshield well into your professional life?

Anonymous said...

I don't know whether global warming is happening or not, but if the coasts are swallowed up by melting glaciers, there are going to be a lot of people begging Al Gore for forgiveness.