Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Restatement of a common-law dog

I'm thinking about getting a dog. I know, I know, a bit premature--I don't even have an apartment where I can keep a dog right now, and I can't have a pet with me this summer. But maybe, one day... I've wanted a miniature pinscher since my horn teacher in high school got a pair. I've even thought about names. If I got a pair I'd call them Lexis and West, but I don't want a pair. If I got one, I could call it Restatement, because it's kind of like an abbreviated version of a common-law dog. I could call it Stacy for short. Or Abstract, and call it Abby. I thought about Brief, but that would sound to normal, non-law-nerd people like I named my dog after a pair of underpants. I found this group online that lets you adopt abandoned or rescued minipins, and feel in love with one in Indiana. Her name's Angel, and she's a couple years old, fully housebroken. The problem with adopting, though, is that the adoption contract does not convey a fee simple in the dog; you have to fulfill certain conditions in the care of the dog and they can repossess any time they feel like you're not up to snuff. I don't know if I want a pet with such encumberances.


I dunno, a dog is a big responsibility and I might be traveling some in the next few years and have no idea what living conditions my summers may bring. Also, I'm not sure how much the care would cost, especially of a pedigreed animal. Minipins usually cost $400-500 from a breeder, and then there are shots, sterilization, check-ups, food, extra housing deposit... But they're so cute! I'd love to be greeted at the door by a yapping little prince or have him snuggle on my lap while I study.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, if you went to the bio department they'd probably give you a rat for like $4 ... and let you do anything with it.

Becca said...

Ah, but would it be a black-and-rust rat? And could it fetch? Granted, you can't let a minipin fetch outside because a medium-sized bird could carry it off.

mel said...

If you want to name a dog "Brief," you ought to get a boxer instead of a minipin...

It had been a while since I read a blog post that made me laugh out loud. :)

Becca said...

Kate says I can train a minipin to use a litter box. Is this true? I mean, they're smaller than cats...