Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The day that Dairy Queen saved

Today was just one of those days... Not that everyone was out to get me or anything--it was more like I was out to get myself. It was the usual little hassles, nothing big. Just the kinds of little things that add up and make you want to write the day off as a deduction from your total. Things like waiting through the light twice, being a touch late to class, getting called on when you picked up the wrong textbook, getting confused about which lane you need to be in at the next light, having your interior door handle spontaneously break so you have to crawl over the console and exit the car through the passenger door, driving all over town because you can't find a certain store, and then finding that the advertised special ended a half hour before you got there... So on the way home it was late and I was hungry and a touch crabby, so I pulled around the Dairy Queen with low expectations. I used to like Dairy Queen. It always had this basket of chicken fingers on the menu that came with fries and toast and the very definition of sawmill gravy--you know, the kind with waaaaay too much black pepper. I would dip everything in that gravy, even the toast. But I hadn't seen that on the menu for years and considered it gone with black-and-white television shows. But what do you know, they had it! And the gravy was just as I remember it. Ah, my arteries, this day has been redeemed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, and I thought watching 2 year old Johnny for ONE hour today was hard!

mel said...

I was getting ready to read about a Chocolate Xtreme Blizzard or something... but hey, if sawmill gravy makes you happy... ;-)

Joanna said...

wow - only you Rebecca....

Monica said...

I'm right there with you! I love peppery gravy! :-) Yeah for comfort food!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that sawmill gravy is DA BOMB!

Anonymous said...

That's how my day is going so far...grr.

Becca said...

Hey, you know where the DQ is... Though, from the sound of it, you may need more than sawmill gravy.

Anonymous said...

If only all of life's problems could be solved with a couple of french fries...

Anonymous said...

My favorite discontinued Dairy Queen treat: Frozen Hot Chocolate, replaced by the MooLattes (ugh in name and taste).

By the way, I can't believe you're talking about your day in Fed Tax terms